Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

evowrx said:
How hard is it to convert a v3 era bg with dead engine to wrx engine when you have a complete v4 front cut? Just swap in complete engine and engine loom or is it easier to repin?

If it's a bg5b, swap in long block, plug into existing loom and use the yellow injectors and afm from the legacy, convert to wasted spark and swap two wires at the ecu plugs. Plug in a v3 or v4 sti ecu and that's it.

If it's a wrx front cut, then it's my97 or my98. V3 or V4 is the nomenclature for the sti's.

If it's a bg5a, then it's a huge job. I did it by swapping the pins at the ecu end and modifying the existing engine loom to suit.

Pinout diagram with notes on differences between wrx and 4 plug bg5a ecu.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo77a7bk8l51eg2/ECU%20Pinouts%20BC5%20BG5a%20WRX%20%284%20plug%29%20-%20Single%20Swap.pdf?dl=0

evowrx said:
Ah yes the electric odo. So if theyre both electric odo whats the best approach?

Yeah also v3 has cable speedo and v4 is electronic, thats the most notable difference but v3-v4 are totally different even the steering wheels don't interchange as the columns are different, you can drop the v4 long block straight in to any bg/bd leggy though thats going to be the best way then do what you like from there.. Kooms on to it with his wiring loves it lol i personally hate it

evowrx said:
Right so its bg5b ej20r. Does that mean yellows? I hate this early **** give me v5- aldae.

Yep. These ones are super easy to convert to single turbo and run with an sti ecu. Similar year wrx stuff may be similarly easy to set up. Have a look through the single turbo conversion thread as it was the bg5b that started it all.

Turns out starter is still good tryed battery aswell and a jump start .no luck the positive and negative leads on car got freaking hot started to see smoke . Somebody help never an issue like this before

Edited by tydon

Ok i got a question..

My Rex is a v2, Im swapping my old intercooler for a v7 one which doesnt fit so im replacing the throttlebody with a later model shorter one.

I heard however, that doing so can cause bad idle problems without after market ecu.

Apparently the v2 had sensors or w/e on the throttle body? which the later models do not.

Do you know if there's any truth to this? if so then until my G3's installed, the idles going to be terrible.

evowrx said:
It does fit pics for proof on here somewhere. Kamineko made it happen off the top of my head.

Well goodness knows how he did because ive had a real good play myself and i cant possibly squeeze it into the gap that the old intercooler came out of.

I mean unless it was a smaller manifold.. i just dont see how its possible.

Suby Manic said:
Well goodness knows how he did because ive had a real good play myself and i cant possibly squeeze it into the gap that the old intercooler came out of.

I mean unless it was a smaller manifold.. i just dont see how its possible.

Have you talked to Jason/gotasuby about rewiring a later model throttle body to suit your stock ECU?

Timmah said:
Have you talked to Jason/gotasuby about rewiring a later model throttle body to suit your stock ECU?

Yes Tim i have but he seemed unsure whether it'd have an idle issue or not so i thought id ask here incase anyone knew. Rich is fitting my Intercooler/throttlebody etc in a week or so and i cant afford my ECU installation for a month os so. Was just curious as to how bad the idle will be during the period w/o the ECU.

Suby Manic said:
Yes Tim i have but he seemed unsure whether it'd have an idle issue or not so i thought id ask here incase anyone knew. Rich is fitting my Intercooler/throttlebody etc in a week or so and i cant afford my ECU installation for a month os so. Was just curious as to how bad the idle will be during the period w/o the ECU.

Only one way to find out! Do you know what day you're going to Richards?

Suby Manic - Just put on a front mount, that solves all the intercooler fitment problems and works way better

Stingr - Re the VF27, you can do it (I did) - the core fits into the VF26 exhaust housing, the front cover however needs to get clocked to line up and you'll need to drill out to mount the wastegate actuator - I re-used the old outlet for the secondary relief valve as my wastegate feed

The alternative is to mill out the VF26 cover to suit the VF27 compressor wheel, I just took the simpler option. It's worth doing for an upgrade, spools up like a hilux (mine was making full boost under 2500 with a front mount on)

Marky said:
Suby Manic - Just put on a front mount, that solves all the intercooler fitment problems and works way better

I dont really like front mount intercoolers for a bunch of reasons. To my understanding- true, they can offer alot more potential to cool air than a tmic, but there are considerable downsides though. They weaken front structural rigidity and because of increased piping in size and length, it takes fmic's twice as long to spool as top mounts.

Perhaps one day if i get a huge Garret GT something then it will prove to be a necessary modification.

Suby Manic said:
I dont really like front mount intercoolers for a bunch of reasons. To my understanding- true, they can offer alot more potential to cool air than a tmic, but there are considerable downsides though. They weaken front structural rigidity and because of increased piping in size and length, it takes fmic's twice as long to spool as top mounts.

Perhaps one day if i get a huge Garret GT something then it will prove to be a necessary modification.

If you can measure the time difference to spool up with one I'll give you a medal, and regarding the rigidity - you don't have to cut anything out so I can't see how anything is weakened

It's a neverending argument but I can't see any upsides to a top mount apart from rally cars having one less thing to rip off on a stopbank

Marky said:
If you can measure the time difference to spool up with one I'll give you a medal, and regarding the rigidity - you don't have to cut anything out so I can't see how anything is weakened

It's a neverending argument but I can't see any upsides to a top mount apart from rally cars having one less thing to rip off on a stopbank

the slower spool time of a fmic is pretty accepted. Ive seen it, Ive done it, there are literally thousands of articles potaining to it on the net. You are right about the 'structure' thing. Isnt it normal practice to do some fabricational work with the bigger ones? Is this not the case? I must admit having run a fmic on my old RS Leggy that it was front trimmed to fit, but not having installed it myself i couldnt argue about that one way or the other.

Not meaning to be a dick, just heard too many conflicting opinions on the subject.

heres some info i found about pros and cons;

http://rusubaru.com/intercooler-efficiency/

Edited by Suby Manic

• Guest locked this topic