Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Dumb Question Thread!

Jambun

Pretty sure lag from FMIC's is due to piping being too large a diameter. Don't have it any fatter than the turbo outlet and what is lag? Or something along those lines.

And I just browsed partway over that rusub article, not sure how changing to fmic would make the turbo spool slower, might take longer to charge air but the turbo still gonna spool at the same speed.

Edited by 94 Leone

94 Leone said:
Dumb question of my own; A: would it be possible to fit a td04 exhaust housing onto a td05, creating a hybrid td04/5? Or are they too dissimilar in size?

Nope TD05 v band flange is too different to TD04. Possible with mitzi housings.

I have another dumb question..

On cold days my car keeps hitting boost/fuel cut half way through a launch, this is at low psi range, so its not the limiter, im guessing is due to my ECU being warn out.

The question however.. Is this harming my engine at all? People i speak to say no because its a built-in engine defence mechanism, which i know is correct but i'm unsure how damaging this could be, whats everyones thoughts?

Suby Manic said:
I have another dumb question..

On cold days my car keeps hitting boost/fuel cut half way through a launch, this is at low psi range, so its not the limiter, im guessing is due to my ECU being warn out.

The question however.. Is this harming my engine at all? People i speak to say no because its a built-in engine defence mechanism, which i know is correct but i'm unsure how damaging this could be, whats everyones thoughts?

i stopped reading after these bits..

Suby Manic said:
Oh.. umm ok sorry i guess, but this thread is named 'dumb question thread'.

I know 'why' it does it, i just didnt think going 50 to 30 suddenly as a consiquence of fuel cut would be 'great' for the engine.

I can only think of asking Jason what would cause this as it sounds sensor related :|

Jason knows a lot.

• Admin

Different air density when it's cold.

And time for my dumb question, can you explain how you conclude your ECU is worn out? It's an electrical device with no moving parts, I'm not sure how this would happen.

EDIT: On the TMIC/FMIC spooly business thing - I have given this much consideration and done some maths on it.

Let's say you use 2.5" intercooler piping and a Perrin FMIC. For argument's sake we'll say you have 3 metres total of intercooler piping.

The piping has a volume of roughly 9.5L or 0.33 cubic feet.

The intercooler core has a volume of 0.52 cubic feet - that's total, in reality it's probably about half this in terms of actual air passage size but whatever.

So you have ~0.85 cf of volume.

A VF22, flat out, flows about 420cfm, or 7 cubic feet per second.

This means it takes about 1/8th of a second for a VF22 to pump enough air to fill your intercooler piping.

Ok so on a TMIC setup that's probably going to be more like 1/16th of a second but who cares.

And with regards to distance, well, the intake port velocity of a turbocharged vehicle at high RPM is usually around MACH 0.5 - maybe 150m/s - again, with 3 metres of intercooler piping the air is covering this distance in 1/30th of a second.

Conclusion: other than the pain of having to cut the front and make the piping fit, the spool/boost threshold/response/blah argument around TMIC vs FMIC is purely a mathematical one, because in the real world you are unlikely to notice, and this is reflected in what a lot of people see when they install one.

Extra conclusion: I'm installing a FMIC.

Edited by boon

boon said:

And time for my dumb question, can you explain how you conclude your ECU is worn out? It's an electrical device with no moving parts, I'm not sure how this would happen.

haha ok, i didnt literally mean worn as in mechnically worn i meant its no longer working correctly.

After my engine rebuild it started to play up and Jase labled it as 'dying'. it permanently registers an error on the dash but the code has been checked several times and there is nothing wrong with the car itself, therefore- Dying ecu.

boon said:

EDIT: On the TMIC/FMIC spooly business thing - I have given this much consideration and done some maths on it.

Let's say you use 2.5" intercooler piping and a Perrin FMIC. For argument's sake we'll say you have 3 metres total of intercooler piping.

The intercooler core has a volume of 0.52 cubic feet - that's total, in reality it's probably about half this in terms of actual air passage size but whatever.

This means it takes about 1/8th of a second for a VF22 to pump enough air to fill your intercooler piping.

Ok so on a TMIC setup that's probably going to be more like 1/16th of a second but who cares.

And with regards to distance, well, the intake port velocity of a turbocharged vehicle at high RPM is usually around MACH 0.5 - maybe 150m/s - again, with 3 metres of intercooler piping the air is covering this distance in 1/30th of a second.

Conclusion: other than the pain of having to cut the front and make the piping fit, the spool/boost threshold/response/blah argument around TMIC vs FMIC is purely a mathematical one, because in the real world you are unlikely to notice, and this is reflected in what a lot of people see when they install one.

Well i have to say, this is an excellent answer to the question. I guess i was wrong and i'm happy when the facts are placed before me. Apologies to Marky, sometimes i speak too quickly.. Very useful information here, Cheers.

Incidentally, i wasnt questioning anyone.. i just like sharing view points.

Edited by Suby Manic

boon said:

Im saving this to my computer for future reference if need be. Thank you Boon

FANKS BOON

Plus you cannot discount the increased chchchc and / or zu-tutututu noises you can get with a FMIC

As for the launching / cutting out thing - you have an "airflow" cut in the ECU, in simple terms there is a limit of XXXg/sec of airflow at XXX RPM where the car will cut spark outright - cold air = denser, so if you were on the borderline of hitting it when it's hot, you'll hit it when it's colder.

And calm down team re: cancer etc, he said when its a cold day not fanging it from cold. I'm 90% sure you've all done snownuts at some point

Does seem weird it happens then though, it's normally the sort of thing you encounter with heavy load rather than right off the line

Well the boys did skin me alive but i guess its my fault in a way.. i should definately learn when and when not to talk lol.

And questioning an experienced member is not the wisest course to take, my apologies for making a dick of myself yesterday about the intercooler senario Marky.

Suby Manic said:
Well the boys did skin me alive but i guess its my fault in a way.. i should definately learn when and when not to talk lol.

And questioning an experienced member is not the wisest course to take, my apologies for making a dick of myself yesterday about the intercooler senario Marky.

Nothing wrong with a discussion, how else are we meant to learn?

Have you tried another AFM to rule out the cutting issue? Maybe it's getting lazy.

Timmah said:
Nothing wrong with a discussion, how else are we meant to learn?

Have you tried another AFM to rule out the cutting issue? Maybe it's getting lazy.

I suppose you're right Tim.

Yes well, they replaced my air flow meter when they rebuit the damn thing but to no avail, after swapping the ecu with a tester one, they concluded it was the ecu but im unsure.

Ultimately i'm like who gives a s***, i have a brand new G3 waiting to be fitted by Jase, So meh..

Suby Manic said:

Well played..Some posters throw their toys and rage quit when this happens..

You have passed this test and can move to the next level..

• Guest locked this topic