Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Race Helmet info

Joker

• General Member

Borrowed from http://www.mr2.org.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5248&sid=90ebb01690206ce77b3d0e495262f6df

For those of you that want to buy a helmet for motorsport, sorry this is not easy to under stand but it is the right information

(�I) All occupants of vehicles entered in any of the following Events shall wear protective helmets;

(a) Sporting Trials, Regularity Trials, Speed Events, or

© Rallies, and

(d) Any practice sessions for the above.

Motorsport NZ recommends the use of full- face helmets complete with visors. Should a competitor choose to use an open face helmet, then goggles or visor manufactured from shatterproof material shall be used (not required in vehicles equipped with a full size

(2) Requirements: Protective helmets shall;

(a) Comply with a current approved standard,

(b) Be a good Fit on the wearer so they are secure when worn,

(c Be in good condition, and

(d Not be modified, except as specifically permitted by the helmet manufacturer, in particular;

(ii ABS and Polycarbonate helmets shall not be painted,

(ii) Composite shell helmets may only be painted with a paint approved by the helmet manufacturer,

(iii) Intercom earphones and microphones should only be fitted in helmets specifically designed for their fitting. In all cases when fitting speaker(s) care must be taken to ensure that they do not create a hazard for the wearer.

(3) Helmet Fit Test: The helmet must not be able to be removed by lifting the back of the helmet. (Refer drawing 4.1.1)

(4) Approved Standards:

(a) International Events: Vehicle occupants shall wear protective helmets approved to any of the following standards:

Snell Foundation mc;

Snell SA 2000.

Snell SA 95 (valid until 31/12/OS),

SF1 Foundation mc;

SF1 Spec 31.1A (open face design), or

SF1 spec 31 .2A (closed face design)

British Standards Institute;

BS6658-85 type A/FR (red label), including

all amendments.

(b) All Other Events: vehicle occupants shall wear protective helmets approved to any of the standards detailed in (a) of this article or one of the following standards;

Snell Foundation (cc;

Snell SA 90

M90

M95

M2000

SH Foundation Inc;

SF1 Spec 31.1 (open face design), or

SF1 spec 31.2 (closed face design)

British Standards Institute; 856658-85 type A (blue label) including amendments

European Standard (R22); �E� Mark, 02,03,04 or 05 series.

Note: A production number, e.g. 05,12345, will immediately follow these identification numbers.

New Zealand Standard; NZS 5430

Aust (�I) All occupants of vehicles entered in any of the following Events shall wear protective helmets;

(a) Sporting Trials, Regularity Trials, Speed Events, or

© Rallies, and

(d) Any practice sessions for the above.

Motor Sport NZ recommends the use of full- face helmets complete with visors. Should a competitor choose to use an open face helmet, then goggles or visor manufactured from shatterproof material shall be used (not required in vehicles equipped with a full size

(2) Requirements: Protective helmets shall;

(a) Comply with a current approved standard,

(b) Be a good Fit on the wearer so they are secure when worn,

(ci Be in good condition, and

(di Not be modified, except as specifically permitted by the helmet manufacturer, in particular;

(ii ABS and Polycarbonate helmets shall not be painted,

(ii) Composite shell helmets may only be painted with a paint approved by the helmet manufacturer,

(iii) Intercom earphones and microphones should only be fitted in helmets specifically designed for their fitting. In all cases when fitting speaker(s) care must be taken to ensure that they do not create a hazard for the wearer.

(3) Helmet Fit Test: The helmet must not be able to be removed by lifting the back of the helmet. (Refer drawing 4.1.1)

(4) Approved Standards:

(a) International Events: Vehicle occupants shall wear protective helmets approved to any of the following standards:

Snell Foundation mc;

Snell SA 2000.

Snell SA 95 (valid until 31/12/OS),

SF1 Foundation mc;

SF1 Spec 31.1A (open face design), or

SF1 spec 31 .2A (closed face design)

BS6658-85 type A/FR (red label), including

all amendments.

(N All Other Events: vehicle occupants shall wear protective helmets approved to any of the standards detailed in (a) of this article or one of the following standards;

Snell Foundation (cc;

Snell SA 90

M90

M95

M2000

SH Foundation Inc;

SF1 Spec 31.1 (open face design), or

SF1 spec 31.2 (closed face design)

British Standards Institute; 856658-85 type A (blue label) including amendments

European Standard (R22); �E� Mark, 02,03,04 or 05 series.

Note: A production number, e.g. 05,12345, will immediately follow these identification numbers.

New Zealand Standard; NZS 5430

Australian Standard

AS 1698

American National Standard;

ANSIZ -90.1- 1992

(5) Inspection: A Scrutineer or Technical Officer may check helmets at any time during an Event. Where there is doubt about the helmet�s fitness, the Chief Scrutineer or Technical Officer may impound the helmet for the duration of the Event.

(6) Recommendations:

(a) Neck braces should be used. They help restrict head movement in an impact reducing the possibility of neck injuries.

(is) In the case of a severe impact the helmet should be destroyed so it cannot be

reused.

(c Helmets should be replaced at least every seven years.

(d) Use a helmet bag to protect helmets.

(e) Store helmets in a dark and dry location.

(f) Don�t share or loan helmets.

OR See NZ Motor Sport Manual Book 1 Page: 160 for more infomation

Munkvy said:

To give a quick summary (Im also a scrutineer):

Helmet - tidy condition, to standard AS1698 (thats the most common standard). I have included a full list at the bottom of this post however.

Overalls - 100% cotton is a must, no polycotton allowed! Ideally pockets sewn up if they have holes through to underlayer. Most clubsport events are ok with just taping the pockets shut.

Fire Extinguisher - needs to be mounted to the floor with a retaining system incorporating quick release metal fastenings/straps, or material of equivalent strength (ie Kevlar), secured to the structure of the vehicle by a minimum of two 6mm bolts with panel washers and locknuts. Please note that you should be able to reach the fire extinguisher from your seated position. So that means dont put it behind your seat/in the boot etc....

Other than that you need closed toe shoes - which pretty much means wear shoes, not jandals.

HELMET STANDARDS:

(a) International Events: Vehicle occupants shall wear protective helmets approved to

any of the following standards:

Snell Foundation Inc;

Snell SA 2005

Snell SA 2000.

SFI Foundation Inc;

SFI Spec 31.1A (open face design), or

SFI spec 31.2A (closed face design)

BS6658-85 type A/FR (red label), including all amendments.

(b) All Other Events: Vehicle occupants shall wear protective helmets approved to any of

the standards detailed in (a) of this article or one of the following standards;

Snell Foundation Inc;

Snell SA 95

M95

M2000

M2005

SFI Foundation Inc;

SFI Spec 31.1 (open face design), or

SFI spec 31.2 (closed face design)

BS6658-85 type A (blue label) including all amendments

European Standard (R22);

‘E’ Mark, 02, 03, 04 or 05 series.

Note: A production number, e.g. 05,12345, will immediately follow these identification

numbers.

Australian Standard;

AS 1698

Jarrad can we perhaps sticky something along the lines of what I have written above for people interested in doing trackdays? I am happy to write up something more detailed/fancier etc.

• 5 years later...
  • General Member
 B1 said:
Hey just thought I would let you know, under the stickied Race helmet info thread the European standards E02 and E03 have expired as of 2012 - There may be some old stock around so Might pay to update it incase people get caught out - cheers Brendon :-)

handy info come to hand, cheers B1

• 2 years later...

I am looking at buying a helmet and have read all of the above, but am a little unsure still of the helmet I am looking at.

It says it conforms to Motorsport E requirements. I take it that it would be covered somewhere in the above lists of approved helmets.

Heres the link to the helmet I am looking at.

http://www.palmside.co.nz/product_pcid_16787.html.

Thanks

• Like 1

• General Member

lmgtfy seems cheap 

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/sites/default/files/motorsport/manual/Live 35 App 2.01 Sch A.pdf

E standard needs to be 04 or 05 according to page 10 of that document, might pay to ring & ask them directly what stamp is on it?

pictures are on pages 43 - 44

I highly doubt they would sell something that's 'expired' or of no use

I have one of those too btw & reminds me I must check it as its a bit old too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joker said:

lmgtfy seems cheap 

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/sites/default/files/motorsport/manual/Live 35 App 2.01 Sch A.pdf

E standard needs to be 04 or 05 according to page 10 of that document, might pay to ring & ask them directly what stamp is on it?

pictures are on pages 43 - 44

I highly doubt they would sell something that's 'expired' or of no use

Thanks for the reply.

I have emailed to check. I advised them what I was wanting it for and wanting to go in and try on and talk to them directly, trying to find out if they are open Saturday, as that looks to be the only day I can get out there this week.

Im assuming that they would only stock and sell helmets that complied.

It does seem very cheap, thats why I was asking about it