Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

New rubber for the GTB

Hey guys and girls, I'm thinking its about time I put a decent set of shoes on my Legacy now that I've done all I can with the handling in it the only thing letting it down seems to be the tyres. Its currently running some cheap chinese random things that it came with which are fine untill the road get a bit damp and then she's as slippery as hell, which isnt the idea I was going for, has anyone tried something that works a treat on a road car? The Bridgestone Potenza RE001 seems to be the one to go for thus far, I dont want to spend mega bucks but had the idea of around $800 for a set, still running the original wheels so should be do-able.

If someone could let me know of something that works well and doesnt wear out in 5km's then that'd be awesome!

JoKer said:

Kingstars.....

...it begins...

but i can vouch for RE001's, quiet on the road, at least as grippy as Toyo T1R's (cant vouch for wet performance yet), mileage?...TBD

theyre ripping you off if you cant get a set for $800 or less

• General Member

:D well they were fun at Slipway and am I the ONLY one who thinks ppl (not a personal jab) you must be driving like a loony to loose traction?

3000 more kilometers and I will have done 100,000 on nothing more than Kingstars/Nankag's and haven't killed myself yet... or fallen off

mind I dont have a valid opinion of them on anything more powerful, mind you I was 185 Kw and front wheel spinning coming onto front straight of Taupo racetrack .. thats right I did loose traction on a RACETRACK!

I am a good boyracerer

MercuryFree said:

Re001's aren't that good in the wet, imo, despite what bridgestone will try to tell you

WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this... but I thought it was just my car being...my car. Glad to know it could have been the tyres too ;D

Shale']

[quote name='MercuryFree said:

Re001's aren't that good in the wet, imo, despite what bridgestone will try to tell you

/quote]

WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with this... but I thought it was just my car being...my car. Glad to know it could have been the tyres too ;D

yea i got adrenalins in mine too, it powerslides and steps out hard in the wet. Have 1/3 worn mine in 5000kms :S Quite a soft tyre

Shale said:

Exactly my experience. Word for word.

RE-11 proving to be similar but better in the wet. So far the RE050 directionals have been the best of the bunch in this regard.

I might try some re11s, will make my car horribly uncomfortable lol. but im sick of understeering really

It'll be interesting to see how they are on a faster, stickier car. It's really only the wet that they get loose for me, and even then it's just a bit buttery...not the same sort of WHOOPSH!T! that comes with the RE001s. ;D

Uncomfortable though? They're very nice tyres to drive on... quiet as hell and the sidewalls are enormous. Not as harsh as the 050s IMO, but I drive a tin can ;D

555v7sti']yea i got adrenalins in mine too, it powerslides and steps out hard in the wet.

I've not experienced this. You running stock suspension?

[quote name='JoKer said:

you must be driving like a loony to loose traction

What I was thinking =]

Guest boostin

Bridgefails?? No way. Toyo Proxes T1-R's every time. For similar money to Failstones you'll likely get double, if not triple the mileage out of them.

nztintin']

[quote name='boostin said:

Bridgefails?? No way. b]Toyo Proxes T1-R's[/b] every time. For similar money to Failstones you'll likely get double, if not triple the mileage out of them.

4 track days and mine still look new!

Impressive!

I just rotated my 050's front to back and the fronts were definitely more worn then the rears. They've done 11,000 not always gentle km's so far and I expect I'll get that much again but maybe not much more then that with the way the fronts have worn so far... evenly, but a bit more quickly then I expected.

But I do like the 050's... they seem to be sticky enough and they're nice and progressive when they start to let go :)

More info on these T1-R's??? Most of the Auckland Crew I talk to highly rate the RE050's but as I may need a tyre change in the next 6 months or so, being on a bit of a budget but wanting a good tyre these seem like a good choice. If the T1-R's offer the same if not better performance at the same price but offer better milage then I might just have to change my mind!!! :-\

The T1-R's were the main choice of the masses a couple of years ago. It seems the Adrenalines have out priced them in recent times i.e. I used to buy T1-R's for $150 each and last time I got tyres I got quoted ~$300 ea. So I went for the Adrenalines. Then broke my car so they're still in as new condition.

Goodyear Eagle GSD3's are very similar to the T1-R's I reckon.

Interestingly the 050's have a very ordinary looking tread pattern. I think they get their grip levels from the soft rubber compound they're made of. They have a treadwear rating of 140 which is pretty soft.

I had GSD3's on my previous car and found them to be pretty good but rather prone to tramlining... but that may have been because they were 235's. It was because of that that I steered clear of the T1R's even though they do still seem to be very popular.

The other advantage of the 050's is that being Bridgestones, you can pick them up at any Firestone (same with the Adrenalins) whereas the T1R's can be a bit trickier to source.

Re the Adrenalins, one thing to be aware of is that they are made in Japan or Thailand (from memory). The Japanese ones appear to run a different rubber compound and are reported to be much better build quality and grip wise.

I was the same at Tonys Tyre service, T1r's I'd highly rate. Got rid of my set not long go for $300, almost brand new as I now have semi-slicks. Had less then a 100k's on em lol so someone got a good deal.

Whichever u can get cheaper, T1r's to GSD3's I'd say u can't go wrong. ;)